Thursday, April 23, 2009

Home improvements

There are always little things I think of that I would like to do to our house, I guess that is never ending.


I have a list of things that I at some point I would like to do in regards to decorating/changing some things up.

One thing I have wanted to do for a long time is paint our breakfast nook.
I thought about this soon after we moved in, just to give the living room/breakfast area a little something.

Our living room and breakfast area flow together and it would take so much to paint our entire living room, but the breakfast nook is a pretty small area, so I thought it wouldn't be too hard to paint it.

We searched out colors and bought three small sample sizes of different shades of red.
Originally I thought I wanted to do a tan/beige, just a little darker than the color of our walls now, but after thinking about it more and with my mom's thoughts as well I wanted to do something with more color to make it stand out.
So I started looking at reds.

After trying out three small sections on the wall we picked the red that we liked the best.

Now, note to anyone wanting to do red, b/c it is so dark and bold if you start with a white wall you must first do a coat of primer and then most likely 2 coats of the red.

Thank goodness it was a small space b/c an entire red room could take quite a while with doing three coats.

I think it turned out good and we even found some cheap art from Old Time Pottery to complete the look. I also picked up some fake lemons and red apples to use as the centerpeice and replace the green apples I had before.

Here is the completed project:





4 comments:

Kelly said...

Halie! That looks amazing!!

I have been wanting to do some red in our house too but haven't been brave enough! I love your nook- it looks so homey! What color/brand did you end up going with? I am making a list of all the painting projects that we're going to do this summer and I definitely want some red somewhere!

Halie said...

Thanks Kelly!
Glad to know someone reads my blog. :)
I am trying to get better at updating even if just for myself as sort of a journal.

After seeing your pics of your nook painted a while back I decided it was time to just pick a color out and do it b/c i had been saying I wanted to do it for so long.

The paint is from Lowe's, it's called Bangkok Rust. It is a Valspar Premium brand-Waverly is the specific brand name.

We got a gallon of primer and did a coat of that first.
The primer is a dark gray color and you think "how is the red going to cover this", but it does and it takes less coats than painting right on top of the white wall- which I hear can take 3-4 coats to cover and can be a nightmare.

Nicole said...

Halie, I can't remember if you were standing there or not, but I told Matt how much I liked the new color last time we were at your house. It looks so great!

Halie said...

Thanks Nicole!
and thanks for reading the blog! I guess that makes 3 ppl total who look at the blog.
I am trying to update it more, as a journal of sorts, for me to remember them.
I figure even if no one really reads it I will have things written down to look back on.